Handicrafts and Hobbies cont'd
Spinning and Weaving
Committee: Judi Meadows (Chair) 519-463-5463, Elaine Campbell, Linda Clare, Diane Helmuth, Noreen Jones, Norma Mordue, Judy Shaw, Jean Shoemaker, Laura Taylor, Jane Van Weerdhuizen, Eileen Wilson
Entries close at 11:30 a.m. on the first day of the Fair and must be in place by 12:00 Noon and remain until 3:30 p.m. on Sunday.
ALL EXHIBITS MUST BE THE WORK OF THE EXHIBITOR AND MUST HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE LAST 2 YEARS.
Judges of this class are authorized by the directors of the Society to disqualify all old, soiled and defaced work, and instructed to award prizes to new and up-to-date work. In case of no competition, unless the work is worthy, the prize money will be withheld.
ORGANIZATIONS SHOWING A DISPLAY MUST ENTER IN THE OPEN CLASSES.
All exhibitors must have a 2009 Membership.
NOTE: Our theme this year is “HORSIN' AROUND AT THE FAIR”. Please include where possible.
Note: Judges are to judge skein of yarn. Article does not have to be completed.
- Spin a 3 ply yarn using 3 colours suitable for socks or leg warmers. 25 yard skein and 6"x6" sample or article. Name the fibre(s).
- Blend of one wool and one luxury fibre and spin into a 2 ply yarn suitable for a toque. 25 yard skein and 6"x6" sample or article. Name the fibres.
- Spin a 2 ply yarn suitable for a cushion cover using 1 ply protein fibre (animal) and 1 ply vegetable fibre (plant). 25 yard skein and 6"x6" sample or article. Name the fibres.
- Create a 3 ply yarn using 1 ply each of metallic, Shetland and alpaca suitable for a scarf. 25 yard skein and 6"x6" sample or article.
- Create a 2 ply yarn using 25% recycled fibre and 75% wool of your choice. 10 yard skein and name the fibres.
- Use a fibre raised within 150 km of Drumbo to create a 2 ply yarn suitable for a scarf or shawl. 25 yard skein and 6"x6" sample or article. Name the fibre and where raised. Sponsored by Judi Meadows.
- Hand towel fo 100% cotton and maximum size of 16"x28". Name the weave structure.
- Table runner made of tencel, bamboo or mercerized cotton. Minimum width 14" and maximum width 25". Minimum length 25" and maximum length 60". Name the weave structure and fibre(s).
- 2 pot holders woven from old clothing. Name what the clothing was.
- Tea towel and matching dish cloth woven in point twill or rosepath using a minimum of 3 colours. Must be a minimum of 50% cotton. Name the fibre(s) and weave structure.
- Shawl using a sett of 20 e.p.i. and not to exceed 20"x70" plus fringe. Name the fibre(s) and weave structure.
- Luxury scarf using one or more of tencel, silk, rayon or bamboo. Maximum length of 70" plus fringe. Name the fibre(s) and weave structure.