Handicrafts and Hobbies cont'd
Spinning and Weaving
Committee: Judi Meadows (Chair) 519-463-5463, Elaine Campbell, Linda Clare, Bonnie Csinos, Diane Helmuth, Noreen Jones, Vera Kirby, Norma Mordue, Rhonda Otte, Judy & Gary Stephenson, Jean Shoemaker, Laura Taylor, Jane Van Weerdhuizen, Eileen Wilson
Entries close at 11:30 a.m. on the first day of the Fair and must be in place by 12:00 Noon and remain until 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
ALL EXHIBITS MUST BE THE WORK OF THE EXHIBITOR AND MUST HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE LAST 2 YEARS.
Judges of this class are authorized by the directors of the Society to disqualify all old, soiled and defaced work, and instructed to award prizes to new and up-to-date work. In case of no competition, unless the work is worthy, the prize money will be withheld.
ORGANIZATIONS SHOWING A DISPLAY MUST ENTER IN THE OPEN CLASSES.
All exhibitors must have a 2010 Membership.
NOTE: Our theme this year is “Come Celebrate - 160 Years!
Note: Judges are to judge skein of yarn. Article does not have to be completed.
- Create a 3 ply yarn of wool in 3 natural colours suitable for mitts. Name the wool. Do a 25 yd skein and 6" x 6" sample or article.
- Create a 2 ply yarn of complimentary colours suitable for a scarf. Fibres and technique of your choice. Do a 25 yd skein and 6"x6" sample or article. Name the fibre and technique.
- Spin a 2 ply yarn using any two luxury fibres listed (mohair, alpaca, tencel, rayon, bamboo, ingeo, merino) suitable for a scarf or shawl. Do a 25 yd skein and 6"x6" sample or article. Name the fibres.
- Spin a 2 ply yarn using one or more unusual fibres (such as buffalo, dog, cat, camel, cashmere, qiviut). Do a 25 yard skein and 6"x6" sample or article. Name the fibres.
- Spin a blend of wool and one of these fibres, (vicuna, camel, milk roving, dog, possum, cotton) to create a yarn suitable for mitts or gloves. Do a 25 yd skein and 6"x6" sample or article. Name the fibres.
- Spin a 2 ply yarn of hemp or linen. Do a 25 yd skein and 6"x6" sample. Name the future use of the yarn. Sponsored by Judi Meadows.
- A Hand towel woven of cotton warp and cotton chenille weft. Minimum width of 18". Technique and colour your choice.
- Weave a scarf using 50% mercerized cotton and 50% a fibre you have never used before. Minimum size 8"x45". Name the fibre and technique.
- Weave a shopping bag using a cotton or hemp warp and recycled weft. Maximum size 12"x14". Name the weft.
- Weave a pair (2) of placemats using an overshot pattern with 2/8 cotton warp. Your choice of pattern and weft.
- Make a tea cozy to match the above placemats.
- Create hot pad using recycled material and rug technique. Name the fibres and technique.
- Create a tea towel using cottolin as weft. Minimum size 18"x28". Name the technique.
- Create a scarf using an unusual fibre such as ingeo, sea-silk, milk roving, camel, etc. as weft. Minimum size 3"x45". Name the fibre.