Baking and Canning 2013
Committee: Laurie Cadwell (Chair) 519-761-7268, Tillie Marshall, Marelene Perry, Jackie Rodger
Note Date and Time for entries. Entries will be received on Thursday (4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.) and Friday morning, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. only and remain in place until 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
No mixes or commercial fillings allowed.
All Bread and Loaves to be in plastic bags. Pan size for Loaves approximately 23x13x7.5 cm or 9’x5”x3”.
All cupcake and muffin papers to be removed.
Place smaller items, i.e. muffins, cookies, tarts, etc. on appropriately sized paper plate inside a ziplock bag.
Cakes to be removed from pan; place on sturdy base.
|31-41||Refer to each section|
Yeast Breads and Rolls
- White Bread, bread machine, 1 loaf
- Multi Grain Bread, bread machine, 1 loaf
- Rolls in a basket, not from a bread machine, 5
- Raisin Bread, not from a bread machine, 1 loaf
Loaves, Muffins and Tarts
- Banana Loaf, no artificial flavouring, no nuts
- Apple Cinnamon Loaf, no nuts
- Zucchini Loaf, no nuts
- Corn Bread Muffins, 3
- Blueberry Muffins, 3
- Cheese Scones, 3
- Tea Biscuits, 3
- Butter Tarts, no raisins, 3
- Lemon Tarts, no meringue, 3
Cookies and Squares
- Peanut Butter cookies,3
- Chocolate Chip Cookies, baked, 3
- Unbaked Cookies, 3
- Brownies with nuts, not iced, 3
- Date Squares, 3
Cakes and Cupcakes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Chocolate Layer Cake, iced
- Cupcakes, "Cow Theme" decorated, 3
Candy and Snacks
- Microwaved Peanut Brittle, 3 pieces
- Chocolate Fudge, plain, 3, 1” pieces
- Nuts & Bolts Mix, 1 cup
- Baked unfilled pie pastry shell
(1st place pies will be auctioned at Friday night opening ceremonies)
Pies must be made from scratch. All pies to be baked in full size foil pie plate (approximately 9"). Exhibit pies in clear plastic bags, large enough to be easily removed for judging.
- Apple, double crust
- Cherry, lattice top
- Elderberry, double crust
- Raspberry, lattice
(Organizations not eligible to enter specials)
- A Plate of Fancy Sandwiches. Judged for creativity, food presentation, and colour co-ordination. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st -$12.00; 2nd-$8.00; 3rd-$5.00
- 9" pan of Chocolate Brownies, iced. Sponsored by Robert Jones Insurance. 1st-$5.00; 2nd-$3.00; 3rd-$2.00
- Best Double Crust Apple Pie. Sponsored by Craig Baker. First prize retained by donor. 1st-$10.00; 2nd-$6.00; 3rd-$4.00.
- A 9" Angel Food Cake (Not iced). Sponsored by Jackie Rodger. 1st-$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
Country Fair Baking Contest
On behalf of our sponsoring products, Bernardin, Certo, Crisco, Fleischmann's and Robin Hood Flour Family, it is our pleasure to include these special categories.
- All entrants must use the sponsor's product.
- A copy of the recipe used and a product label or UPC, as proof of purchase, must accompany each entry.
- As a first place winner, you will be asked to submit the recipe used, proof of purchase, photograph of entry and a signed release form giving permission to the sponsors for use of your name, recipe, and/or photograph in any other advertising or publicity without payment.
- The fair will forward a list of all names and addresses of 1st and 2nd place winners to Country Fair Baking Contest.
- Judging will be based on appearance, taste, texture and recipe creativity.
- Fleischmann's Yeast "Best 60% Whole Wheat Bread" Use either 8"x4"x2.5" or 9"x5"x3" pan. - 1st: $20.00 & Gift Prize. 1st prize winner will compete at District 7 level in November.
- Fleischmann's "Best Short Bread Cookies", using Fleischmann's Corn Starch - 1st: $20.00 plus Gift Prize
- Fleischmann's "Best Chocolate Orange Cake Loaf", using Fleischmann's Baking Powder or Crown Corn Syrup or both - 1st: $20.00 plus Gift Prize
- Robin Hood Flour Family "Favourite Oatmeal Raisin Cookies" (3) - 1st: $25.00 Product Certificate, 2nd: $10.00 Product Certificate
- Crisco"Family Favourite Butter Tarts with raisins" (3 large) - 1st: $25.00 Product Certificate, 2nd: $10.00 Product Certificate
- Bernardin "Best Red Pepper Jelly" - using Bernardin pectin, submitted in a Bernardin mason jar and snap lid - 1st: $20.00 Gift Certificate
- Certo "Best Cooked Raspberry Jam" - using Certo - 1st: $20.00 Prize Value, 2nd: $10.00 Prize Value
Fasten entry tag securely on each jar with an elastic or string.
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with snap rings and lids.
- Another fruit not listed above, named
BEST OF SHOW: (sections 42-45) Must be canned in Bernardin Mason Jar and Snap Lid - $30.00 Gift Certificate
Jams, Jellies and Marmalade
125 to 250 ml mason type preserving jars with snap rings and lids unless otherwise noted.
- Rhubarb & Strawberry Jam, cooked
- Raspberry Jam, cooked
- Raspberry Jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer containers
- Strawberry Jam, cooked
- Strawberry Jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer containers
- Pepper Jelly
- Grape Jelly
Pickles and Relishes
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with snap rings and lids. No added food colouring.
- Beets, Pickled
- Dill Pickles
- Sweet Pickles
- Bread and Butter Pickles
- Pickled green and yellow Beans
- Pickled Eggs with spices
- Any other Pickles, named
- Hot Dog Relish
- Zucchini Relish
- Chili Sauce
- Spaghetti Sauce
CHAMPION: Most Points in Class 80, sections 1-25 and 42-65 must enter minimum 10 entries. Prize of $25.00. Sponsored by Edna Pipe.
For recipes and helpful hints on Home Canning Visit: www.homecanning.ca