Baking and Canning 2014
Committee: Laurie Cadwell (Chair) 519-761-7268, Tillie Marshall, Marelene Perry, Jackie Rodger
Note Date and Time for entries. Entries will be received on Thursday (4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.) and Friday morning, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. only and remain in place until 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
No mixes or commercial fillings allowed.
All Bread and Loaves to be in plastic bags. Pan size for Loaves approximately 23x13x7.5 cm or 9’x5”x3”.
All cupcake and muffin papers to be removed.
Place smaller items, i.e. muffins, cookies, tarts, etc. on appropriately sized paper plate inside a ziplock bag.
Cakes to be removed from pan; placed on sturdy base and in a plastic bag or covered with plastic wrap.
|43-46||Refer to each section|
|52-56||Refer to each section|
Yeast Breads and Rolls
- White Bread, bread machine, 1 loaf
- Multi Grain Bread, bread machine, 1 loaf
- Rolls in a basket, not from a bread machine, 5
- Cheese Bread, not from a bread machine, 1 loaf
Loaves, Muffins and Tarts
- Banana Loaf, no artificial flavouring, no nuts
- Apple Cinnamon Loaf, no nuts
- Zucchini Loaf, no nuts
- Blueberry Muffins, 3
- Tea Biscuits, 3
- Butter Tarts, no raisins, 3
Cookies and Squares
- Peanut Butter cookies,3
- Chocolate Chip Cookies, baked, 3
- Shortbread Cookies, any shape, undecorated, 3
- Brownies no nuts, iced, 3
- Date Squares, 3
- Angel Food, mix allowed, no icing
- Chocolate Layer Cake, mix allowed, approximately 8"-9" round, iced
Candy and Snacks
- Flavoured Popcorn
- Chocolate Fudge, plain, 1” pieces, 3
- Nuts & Bolts Mix, 1 cup
Fasten entry tag securely on each jar with an elastic or string.
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with snap rings and lids.
- Applesauce, no spices added
- Another fruit not listed above, named
Jams, Jellies and Marmalade
125 to 250 ml mason type preserving jars with snap rings and lids unless otherwise noted.
- Rhubarb & Strawberry Jam, cooked
- Raspberry Jam, cooked
- Raspberry Jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer containers
- Strawberry Jam, cooked
- Strawberry Jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer containers
- Pepper Jelly
- Three (3) fruit Marmalade
Pickles and Relishes
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with snap rings and lids. No added food colouring.
- Beets, Pickled
- Dill Pickles
- Sweet Pickles
- Bread and Butter Pickles
- Pickled green or yellow Beans
- Any other Pickles, named
- Hot Dog Relish
- Zucchini Relish
- Chili Sauce
- Spaghetti Sauce
BEST OF SHOW: (sections 21-42) Must be canned in Bernardin Mason Jar and Snap Lid - $30.00 Gift Certificate
CHAMPION: Most Points in sections 1-42, must enter minimum 10 entries. Prize of $25.00. Sponsored by Edna Pipe.
(Organizations not eligible to enter specials)
- A Plate of Fancy Sandwiches, 3 varieties, 3 of each. Judged for creativity, food presentation, and colour co-ordination. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st -$12.00; 2nd-$8.00; 3rd-$5.00
- 9" pan of Chocolate Brownies, iced. Sponsored by Robert Jones Insurance. 1st-$9.00; 2nd-$6.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Best Double Crust Apple Pie. Sponsored by Craig Baker. First prize retained by donor. 1st-$10.00; 2nd-$6.00; 3rd-$4.00.
- Cake decorated for a ''Cat Themed' Birthday Party. Must be a real cake. Judged on decoration only. Sponsored by Jackie Rodger. 1st-$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
Pies and Pie Auction
(1st place pies will be auctioned at Friday night opening ceremonies)
Pies must be made from scratch. All pies to be baked in full size foil pie plate (approximately 9"). Exhibit pies in clear plastic bags, large enough to be easily removed for judging.
- Apple, double crust
- Cherry, lattice top
- Elderberry, double crust
- Raspberry, lattice
Country Fair Baking Contest
On behalf of our sponsoring products, Bernardin, Fleischmann's and Robin Hood Flour Family, it is our pleasure to include these special categories.
- All entrants must use the sponsor's product.
- A copy of the recipe used must accompany each entry. A product label or UPC, as proof of purchase must accompany entry in Bernardin Class 56.
- As a first place winner, you will be asked to submit the recipe used, proof of purchase (where required), photograph of entry and a signed release form giving permission to the sponsors for use of your name, recipe, and/or photograph in any other advertising or publicity without payment.
- The fair will forward a list of all names and addresses of 1st and 2nd place winners to Country Fair Baking Contest.
- Judging will be based on appearance, taste, texture and recipe creativity.
- No entrant (or members of their immediate family) can be employees of contest sponsors, advertisers or contest judges.
- Fleischmann's Yeast "Best 60% Whole Wheat Bread" Use either 8"x4"x2.5" or 9"x5"x3" pan. - 1st: $20.00 & Gift Prize. 1st prize winner will compete at District 7 level in November.
- Fleischmann's "Best Lemon Loaf", using Fleischmann's Baking Powder or Crown Corn Syrup or both - 1st: $20.00 plus Gift Prize
- Robin Hood Flour Family "Favourite Oatmeal Raisin Cookies" (3) - 1st: $25.00 Product Certificate, 2nd: $10.00 Product Certificate
- Crisco"Family Favourite Butter Tarts with raisins" (3 large) - 1st: $25.00 Product Certificate, 2nd: $10.00 Product Certificate
- Bernardin "Best Red Pepper Jelly" - using Bernardin pectin, submitted in a Bernardin mason jar and snap lid - 1st: $20.00 Gift Certificate