Baking and Canning 2015
Committee: Laurie Cadwell (Chair) 519-761-7268, Tillie Marshall, Marelene Perry, Jackie Rodger
Note Date and Time for entries. Entries will be received on Thursday (4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.) and Friday morning, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. only and remain in place until 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
No mixes or commercial fillings allowed.
All Bread and Loaves to be in plastic bags. Pan size for Loaves approximately 23x13x7.5 cm or 9’x5”x3”.
All cupcake and muffin papers to be removed.
Place smaller items, i.e. muffins, cookies, tarts, etc. on appropriately sized paper plate inside a ziplock bag.
Cakes to be removed from pan; placed on sturdy base and in a plastic bag or covered with plastic wrap.
|61-67||Refer to each section|
Yeast Breads and Rolls
- White Bread, bread machine, 1 loaf
- Multi Grain Bread, bread machine, 1 loaf
- Braided loaf, white
- Any other bread, named, not from a bread machine, 1 loaf
- 60% whole wheat bread, not from a bread machine in a 8"x4"x2.5" (20x10x7cm) or 9"x5"x3" (23x13x7.5cm) pan. Attach recipe. Winner to compete at OAAS District 7 level in November 2015.
Loaves and Biscuits
- Banana loaf, no artificial flavouring, no nuts
- Lemon loaf
- Pumpkin loaf
- Zucchini loaf, no nuts
- Tea biscuits, no raisins 3
Muffins and scones
- Blueberry muffins,3
- Bran muffins, 3
- Chocolate chip muffins, 3
- Scones, plain, 3
Cakes and Cupcakes
- Chocolate cake, iced, approximately 8"-9", round
- Rhubarb coffee cake
- White cupcakes, decorated, 3
Cookies and Squares
- Chocolate chip cookies, baked, 3
- Peanut butter cookies, 3
- Drop cookies, 3
- Cornflake cereal squares, 3
- Date squares, 3
- Brownies, iced, no nuts 3
Candy and Snacks
- Chocolate fudge, plain, 1" pieces, 3
- Maple fudge, plain, 1" pieces, 3
- Nuts and Bolts mix, 1 cup
Fasten entry tag securely on each jar with an elastic or string.
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with snap rings and lids.
- Applesauce, no spices added
- Another fruit not listed above, named
Jams, Jellies and Marmalade
125 to 250 ml mason type preserving jars with snap rings and lids unless otherwise noted.
- Peach jam, cooked
- Raspberry jam, cooked
- Rhubarb jam, cooked
- Strawberry jam, cooked
- Raspberry Jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Strawberry Jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Any other jam not listed, named
- Pepper jelly
- Strawberry jelly
- Any other jelly not listed, named
- Marmalade, citrus
Pickles and Relishes and Sauces
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with snap rings and lids. No added food colouring.
- Beets, pickled
- Bread and butter pickles
- Dill pickles
- Sweet pickles
- Any other pickle not listed, named
- Hot dog relish
- Zucchini relish
- Spaghetti sauce (no meat)
- Homemade salad dressing with vinegar, cooked
BEST OF SHOW: (sections 27-54) Must be canned in Bernardin Mason Jar and Snap Lid - $30.00 Gift Certificate
CHAMPION: Most Points in sections 1-54, must enter minimum 10 entries. Prize of $25.00. Sponsored by Edna Pipe.
Pies and Pie Auction
(1st place pies will be auctioned at Friday night opening ceremonies)
Pies must be made from scratch. All pies to be baked in full size foil pie plate (approximately 9"). Exhibit pies in clear plastic bags, large enough to be easily removed for judging.
- Apple, double crust
- Cherry, lattice top
- Elderberry, double crust
- Peach, no custard
- Raspberry, lattice
(Organizations not eligible to enter specials)
- "Celebrating 100 years of 4-H in Ontario!" Decorate a dessert i.e. cake, rice krispy squares, etc. to honour this 100th anniversary. Must have the 4-H logo. Be creative. Judged for imagination, food presentation, and colour co-ordination. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st -$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Fall Harvest of Preserved Products Your choice of 4 sealed jars displayed in a basket decorated in a Harvest Theme. Judged on content and presentation. Jar sizes 250 or 500 ml only. Sponsored by Jackie Rodger.1st-$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Best Double Crust Apple Pie. Sponsored by Craig Baker. First prize retained by donor. 1st-$10.00; 2nd-$6.00; 3rd-$4.00.
- 9" pan of Chocolate Brownies, iced. Sponsored by Robert Jones Insurance. 1st-$9.00; 2nd-$6.00; 3rd-$5.00
Country Fair Baking Contest
On behalf of our sponsoring products, Bernardin, Crisco and Robin Hood Flour Family, it is our pleasure to include these special categories.
- All entrants must use the sponsor's product.
- A copy of the recipe used must accompany each entry.
- As a first place winner, you will be asked to submit the recipe used, photograph of entry and a signed release form giving permission to the sponsors for use of your name, recipe, and/or photograph in any other advertising or publicity without payment.
- The fair will forward a list of all names and addresses of 1st and 2nd place winners to Country Fair Baking Contest.
- Judging will be based on appearance, taste, texture and recipe creativity.
- No entrant (or members of their immediate family) can be employees of contest sponsors, advertisers or contest judges.
- Robin Hood Flour "Family Favourite Oatmeal Raisin Cookies" (3) - 1st: $25.00 Product Certificate, 2nd: $10.00 Product Certificate
- Crisco"Family Favourite Butter Tarts with raisins" (3 large) - 1st: $25.00 Product Certificate, 2nd: $10.00 Product Certificate
- Bernardin "Best Grape Jelly" - using Bernardin pectin, submitted in a Bernardin mason jar and snap lid - 1st: $20.00 Gift Certificate