Handicrafts and Hobbies
Spinning and Weaving
Committee: Judi Meadows (Chair) 519-463-5463, Elaine Campbell, Linda Clare, Diane Helmuth, Noreen Jones, Norma Mordue, Judy Shaw, Jean Shoemaker, Laura Taylor, Jane Van Weerdhuizen, Eileen Wilson
Entries close at 11:30 a.m. on the first day of the Fair and must be in place by 12:00 Noon and remain until 3:30 p.m. on Sunday.
ALL EXHIBITS MUST BE THE WORK OF THE EXHIBITOR AND MUST HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE LAST 2 YEARS.
Judges of this class are authorized by the directors of the Society to disqualify all old, soiled and defaced work, and instructed to award prizes to new and up-to-date work. In case of no competition, unless the work is worthy, the prize money will be withheld.
ORGANIZATIONS SHOWING A DISPLAY MUST ENTER IN THE OPEN CLASSES.
All exhibitors must have a 2008 Membership.
NOTE: Our theme this year is “OUR FAIR’S FOR EWE”. Please include where possible.
Note: Judges are to judge skein of yarn. Article does not have to be completed.
- Best use of 2 or 3 coloured rovings, spun two (2) different ways for two different effects. Suitable for slippers or mitts. You'll need 2 skeins 25 yards, a 6"x6" sample or article.
- Using one of the following or blend of two (2) fibres do a 2-ply, 25 yard skein or 6"x6" sample or article. Suitable as a scarf i.e. mohair, Shetland, angora, merino. Name the fibre or fibres.
- Spin a fibre of your choice to make a designer yarn suitable for a stole/scarf. Do a 25 yard, 2-ply or more, skein, a 6"x6" sample or article i.e. wool, silk, bamboo, ingeo (corn fibre). Use one fibre or blend of two. Name fibre or fibres.
- Pick one fibre of your choice, do a 25 yard skein of each of the following - (1). single ply, (2). 2-ply yard, (3). 3-ply or more plies using regular plying, Navajo or cable plying. Must be suitable for a hat or toque.
- A 2-ply yarn of your choice suitable for legwarmers or mitts. Do a 25 yard skein, a 6"x6" sample or an article. Article may be started or finished. Name the fibre.
- Tablerunner - Your choice of width, length, colour, done in the Log Cabin technique.
- Placemats (2) to match your favourite mug. Warp 2/8 cotton, weft-fabric. Placemats not to exceed 14"x22" finished. Place mug with entry.
- Placemats (2), Overshot - any pattern. Colour of your choice. Size 14"x22" finished.
- Luncheon cloth, not to exceed 40"x40". Warp 2/8 cotton in 4 colours. Weft of your choice but in same 4 colours. Technique of your choice. Name fibre and technique.
- Yardage. Your choice of fibre and technique. Minimum of 2.5 yards, width of your choice. Name fibres. Include a picture of the pattern with your weaving.