Handicrafts and Hobbies 2014 cont'd.
Committee: Judi Meadows (Chair) 519-463-5463, Elaine Campbell, Bonnie Csinos, Diane Helmuth, Noreen Jones, Vera Kirby, Norma Mordue and Laura Taylor.
RULES: ENTRY DATES and TIMES
- Entries will be received on Thursday from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. and Friday from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. and remain in place until 4:30 p.m. Sunday.
- ALL EXHIBITS MUST BE THE WORK OF THE EXHIBITOR, EXCEPTIONS NOTED, AND MUST HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE LAST 2 YEARS. Exceptions noted.
- Exhibits must not have been entered before at Drumbo Fair.
- Judges of this class are authorized by the directors of the Society to disqualify all old, soiled and defaced work, and instructed to award prizes to new and up-to-date work. In case of no competition, unless the work is worthy, the prize money will be withheld.
- Organizations showing a display must enter in the open classes.
- Machine quilting may be long or short arm.
RULES for all quilting sections: Machine quilting may be long or short arm
RULES for section 96-99
- Quilts may be made by more than 1 person
- Machine quilting may be long or short arm
- Minimum perimeter size is 260"
- Quilt, machine pieced, hand quilted
- Quilt, machine pieced, machine quilted
- Quilt, hand appliquéd
- Quilt, any other kind -sponsored by Ann Baker
SPECIAL by MARY MAXIM LTD. Best overall quilt in sections 96-99, (hand or machine quilted), full size. $25.00 Gift Certificate.
- Pieced, hand quilted, ready to hang
- Pieced, machine quilted, ready to hang
Minimum size 30"x40"
- Pre-printed panel, hand quilted
- Pre-printed panel, machine quilted
- Pieced and/or appliquéd, hand quilted
- Pieced and/or appliquéd, machine quilted
Minimum size 50"x54"
- Hand quilted
- Machine quilted
Note to Judge: Homecraft judging standards for Ontario Fairs do not apply to this category.
An Art Quilt for purposes of this competition will be defined as a creative visual work that is layered and stitched. Any technique(s), predominantly fibre, any shape, suitable for hanging. On a piece of paper, attached on the back, briefly describe materials / techniques / theme or inspiration used in your creation.
- Wall hanging, original composition under perimeter 100"
- Wall hanging, original composition over perimeter 100"
- Wall hanging, fused or raw edge appliquéd, commercial pattern may be used.
- Doll Quilt
- Table Runner
- Embroidered quilt block
- Quilted vest or jacket
- Placemats (4)
- Potholders (2)
- Christmas stocking
- Heirloom Quilt, any size, made prior to 1950, not necessarily the work of the exhibitor. Please attach a short history of the quilt.
ONTARIO ASSOCIATION OF AGRICULTURAL SOCIETIES (OAAS)
HAND QUILTED & MACHINE-QUILTING COMPETITIONS
Each year the Ontario Association of Agricultural Societies (OAAS) sponsors two Provincial Grand Champion Competitions. By entering this competition (sections 120-121) you agree to allow your quilt, should it be judged "champion", to proceed to the fall District Competition. If successful at that level, it will proceed to the Provincial Championship competition at the OAAS Convention held in February. Champions at the convention receive a $500 prize and the reserve champions receive $100. Note: If you win OAAS champion at more than one fair, you must consider the Agricultural Society nearest to your home address as the one from which your entry will be sent to the District Competition. Should you win more than one Best of Show title with a different eligible quilt, or machine-quilted quilt/wall hanging, at different Fairs, you may enter each winning entry in the District Competition. For full contest rules please visit
For further information contact Elaine Campbell at 519-442-5791 or Judi Meadows at 519-463-5463.
Section and Prize Money $25.00, $15.00, $10.00
- Hand Quilted Quilt:
-Minimum size of 324" measured on the perimeter
-Solely made and hand quilted by exhibitor
-Name of pattern must be attached
-Winner's name and pattern to be displayed at the fair
-Upon making an entry into the competition, the exhibitor agrees to participate in any promotional activities related to the competition.
- Machine-Quilted Quilt-Wall Hanging:
-Minimum size of 192" measured on the perimeter
-Article may be square, rectangular, etc
-Solely made and machine-quilted by the exhibitor
-Must be machine-quilted on a short or long arm machine
-Article must have visible machine quilting
-Winner's name to be displayed at the fair
-Upon making an entry into the competition, the exhibitor agrees to participate in any promotional activities related to the competition
Grand Champion Quilt, hand quilted - Rosette and the Ethel Wettlaufer Trophy
Grand Champion, Machine-Quilted Quilt/Wall Hanging - Rosette and the Margaret Currah Trophy