Baking and Canning 2017
Committee: Laurie Cadwell (Chair) 519-761-7268
NOTE ENTRY DATE and TIMES
Entries will be received on Thursday between 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm and Friday between 9-10 am and remain in place until 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- No mixes or commercial fillings allowed.
- All bread and loaves to be in plastic bags. Standard size pan approximately 23x13x7.5 cm or 9’x5”x3”. Do not trim or alter breads or loaves in any manner.
- Cupcake papers to be left in place.
- All muffin papers to be removed.
- Place smaller items, i.e. cookies, muffins, tarts, etc. on appropriately sized paper or plastic plate inside a ziplock bag.
- Cakes to be removed from pan; placed on sturdy base and in a plastic bag or covered with plastic wrap.
|62-69||Refer to each section|
Yeast Breads, Buns and Rolls
- Braided egg loaf, white, 1 loaf
- Multigrain bread, made in bread machine, 1 loaf
- White bread made in bread machine, 1 loaf
- Any other bread not listed, not from a bread machine, named, 1 loaf
- Chelsea buns, 3
- Rolls, 5
- Cheese bread - use the following recipe:
|2 1/2 cups flour||1 teaspoon salt|
|1 tablespoon baking powder||1 - 12 ounce can of beer|
|2 tablespoons sugar||1 cup shredded cheddar cheese|
|1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda|
METHOD: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9" loaf pan. Mix all dry ingredients together, add beer and cheese, stirring until blended. Spread evenly in pan. Bake 50-55 minutes.
Loaves and Muffins
Remove papers from muffins.
- Banana loaf, no artificial flavouring, no nuts
- Zucchini loaf, no nuts
- Fruit loaf, attach recipe
- Blueberry muffins, 3
- Carrot muffins, 3
- Any other muffin not listed, named, 3
Biscuits and scones
- Tea biscuits, plain, 3
- Scones, plain,3
Cakes and Cupcakes
Leave papers on cupcakes
- Carrot cake, iced, in approximately 10" pan
- Chocolate 2 layer cake, iced, approximately 8"-9", round
- Rhubarb coffee cake, in approximately 8"-10" square pan
- Chocolate cupcakes, iced, 3
- White cupcakes, iced, 3
Cookies, Squares and Tarts
- Drop cookies, no bake,3
- Peanut butter cookies, 3
- Sugar cookies, no icing, 3
- Brownies, iced, no nuts, 3
- Cornflake cereal squares, 3
- Butter tarts with raisins. NO nuts or fruit. Five full size tarts (no minis or bite size). Attach recipe. Winner to compete at OAAS District 7 level in November 2017.
Made from scratch, no commercial fillings
- Apple Pie, double crust
- Cherry Pie, lattice top
- Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie, double crust
Candy and Snacks
- Almond bark, 3 pieces
- Chocolate fudge, plain, 1" pieces, 3
- Nuts and Bolts mix, 1 cup
- Protein bars, 3. Attach recipe
Fasten entry tag securely on each jar with an elastic or string. No decorative lids.
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with new snap rings and lids.
- Applesauce, freezer, no added spices, unsealed, clear container i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Another other fruit not listed, named
Jams and Jellies
125 to 250 ml mason type preserving jars with new snap rings and lids unless otherwise noted.
- Peach jam, cooked
- Raspberry jam, cooked
- Strawberry jam, cooked
- Diabetic jam, any variety, cooked. Attach recipe.
- 2 fruit jam, Ontario fruits, cooked, list fruits and attach recipe.
- Any other jam not listed, named, cooked
- Raspberry jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Strawberry jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Pepper jelly
- Any other jelly not listed, named
Pickles and Relishes and Sauces
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with new snap rings and lids. No added food colouring.
- Beets, pickled
- Bread and butter pickles
- Dill pickles
- Mustard beans, pickled
- Sweet pickles
- Any other pickle not listed, named
- Cucumber relish
- Zucchini relish
- Spaghetti sauce (no meat)
BERNARDIN BEST OF SHOW: (sections 34-58) Must be canned in Bernardin Mason Jar and Snap Lid - $30.00 Gift Certificate
CHAMPION: Most Points in sections 1-58, must enter minimum 10 entries. Prize of $25.00. Sponsored by Edna Pipe.
Previous year's winner not eligible.
Baking and Canning Specials
(Organizations not eligible to enter specials)
- Fall Harvest of Preserved Products. Your choice of 4 sealed jars displayed in a basket decorated in a Harvest Theme. Judged on content and presentation. Jar sizes 250 or 500 ml only. Sponsored by Jackie Rodger.1st-$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Dry Soup Mix in a Jar, recipe attached.Judged on content, presentation and creativity of recipe. Jar size 500 ml or larger.Sponsored by Robert Jones.1st -$9.00; 2nd-$6.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Autumn Bounty, a Basket of Baked Items. Your choice of at least 6 home baked items in a basket decorated with the Harvest theme. To be judged on content and presentation. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st -$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Gluten-free Black Bean Brownies, 5 on a plate - use the following recipe:
|15.5 oz can black beans||pinch of salt|
|3 eggs||4 tablespoons cocoa powder|
|3 tablespoons oil||1 teaspoon vanilla|
|3/4 cup sugar||chocolate chips / nuts optional|
METHOD: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8"x8" pan. Rinse and drain the beans. Mix ingredients together in a blender or food processor until pureéd. Chocolate chips or nuts may be added, if you wish. Pour into the greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting. Yields 16 brownies. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st -$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Let's Celebrate Canada's 150th Birthday! - Bake a cake and decorate for Canada's 150th birthday. Your choice of type and size of cake. Judged on presentation, creativity and taste.Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st -$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
Country Fair Baking Contest
On behalf of our sponsoring products, Bernardin, Crisco and Robin Hood Flour Family, it is our pleasure to include these special categories.
- All entrants must use the sponsor's product.
- As a first place winner, you will be asked to sign a release form giving permission to the sponsors for use of your name, recipe (where asked for), and/or photograph in any other advertising or publicity without payment.
- The fair will forward a list of all names and addresses of 1st and 2nd place winners to Country Fair Baking Contest.
- Judging will be based on appearance, taste, texture and recipe creativity.
- No entrant (or members of their immediate family) can be employees of contest sponsors, advertisers or contest judges.
- Robin Hood Flour "Family Favourite Lemon Loaf". Attach recipe. - 1st: $25.00 Product Certificate, 2nd: $10.00 Product Certificate
- Crisco "Sugar Cookies with Buttercream Frosting - 5 on a plate. Attach recipe.1st: $25.00 Product Certificate, 2nd: $10.00 Product Certificate
- Bernardin "Best Grape Jelly" - using Bernardin pectin, submitted in a Bernardin mason jar and snap lid. Attach proof of purchase i.e. UPC symbol or product box. - 1st: $20.00 Gift Certificate