Baking and Canning 2019
Committee: Laurie Cadwell (Chair) 519-761-7268
NOTE ENTRY DATE and TIMES
Entries will be received on Thursday between 2:30 pm to 8:30 pm and remain in place until 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- No mixes or commercial fillings allowed.
- All bread and loaves to be in plastic bags. Standard size pan approximately 23x13x7.5 cm or 9’x5”x3”. Do not trim or alter breads or loaves in any manner.
- Cupcake papers to be left in place. All muffin papers to be removed.
- Place smaller items, i.e. cookies, muffins, tarts, etc. on appropriately sized paper or plastic plate inside a ziplock bag.
- Cakes to be removed from pan; placed on sturdy base and in a plastic bag or covered with plastic wrap.
|55-62||Refer to each section|
Yeast Breads, Buns and Rolls
- Brown bread,1 loaf, not from a bread machine
- Any bread loaf,from a bread machine
- Cinnamon rolls, iced, 5
- Cheese bread - use the following recipe:
|2 1/2 cups flour||1 teaspoon salt|
|1 tablespoon baking powder||1 - 12 ounce can of beer|
|2 tablespoons sugar||1 cup shredded cheddar cheese|
|1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
METHOD: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9" loaf pan. Mix all dry ingredients together, add beer and cheese, stirring until blended. Spread evenly in pan. Bake 50-55 minutes.
Loaves and Muffins
Remove papers from muffins.
- Banana loaf, no artificial flavouring, no nuts
- Zucchini loaf, no nuts
- Chocolate chip muffins, 3
- Carrot muffins, 3
- Any other muffin not listed, named, 3
Biscuits and scones
- Tea biscuits, 3
- Scones, plain,3
Made from scratch, no commercial fillings or pastry
- Apple Pie, double crust
- Cherry Pie, lattice top
- Strawberry/Rhubarb, double crust
Cakes and Cupcakes
- Carrot cake, iced, in approximately 8"-9" pan
- Rhubarb coffee cake, in approximately 8"-9" pan
- Chocolate cupcakes, iced, 3 (papers on)
Cookies, Squares and Tarts
- Drop cookies, no bake,3
- Peanut butter cookies, 3
- Sugar cookies, no icing, 3
- Brownies, iced, no nuts, 3
- No bake squares, any variety, 3
- Butter tarts with raisins. NO nuts or fruit. Five full size tarts (no minis or bite size). Attach recipe. Winner to compete at OAAS District 7 level in November 2019. Sponsored by Robert Jones. 1st-$8.00; 2nd-$4.00; 3rd-$3.00
Candy and Snacks
- Almond bark, 3 pieces
- Caramel popcorn, 2 cups
- Fudge, any variety, 1 inch pieces, 3
- Nuts and bolts, mix, 1 cup
- Protein bars, 3. Attach recipe
- Fasten entry tag securely on each jar with an elastic or string.
- No decorative embellishments on lids. No food colouring or wax.
- May be canned anytime after October 1, 2018.
- All jars must have new snap rings & lids unless otherwise noted.
- Jars to be filled according to standards recommended by recipe.
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with new snap rings and lids unless otherwise noted
- Tomatoes, stewed
- Applesauce, no added spices, frozen, unsealed, clear container i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Another other fruit not listed, named
Jams and Jellies
125 to 250 ml mason type preserving jars with new snap rings and lids unless otherwise noted.
- Peach jam, cooked
- Raspberry jam, cooked
- Strawberry jam, cooked
- 2 fruit jam, Ontario fruits, cooked, list fruits
- Raspberry jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Strawberry jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Pepper jelly
- Any other jam, not listed, cooked, named
- Any other jelly not listed, named
Pickles and Relishes and Sauces
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with new snap rings and lids. No added food colouring.
- Beets, pickled
- Bread and butter pickles
- Dill pickles
- 9 day pickles
- Any other pickles not listed, named
- Cucumber relish
- Zucchini relish
- Salsa, mild to medium, no hot
- Spaghetti sauce (no meat)
- BBQ sauce
BERNARDIN BEST OF SHOW: (sections 29-54) Must be canned in Bernardin Mason Jar and Snap Lid - $30.00 Gift Certificate
CHAMPION: Most Points in sections 1-54, must enter minimum 10 entries. Prize of $25.00. Sponsored by Edna Pipe.
Baking and Canning Specials
(Organizations not eligible to enter specials)
- Fall Harvest of Preserved Products. Your choice of 6 sealed jars displayed in a basket decorated in a Harvest Theme. Judged on content and presentation. Jar sizes 250 or 500 ml only. Sponsored by Jackie Rodger.1st-$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Cookie Mix in a Jar.Your choice, recipe attached. Judged on content, presentation and creativity of recipe. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell.1st -$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Autumn Bounty, a Basket of Baked Items. Your choice of at least 6 home baked items in a basket decorated with the Harvest theme. To be judged on content and presentation. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st -$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Chocolate Cake - Baked from scratch, using no eggs. No icing. Any size pan may be used. Attach recipe. Judged on taste. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st -$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Country Roots - Provide fresh raw produce for a salsa recipe. Display produce on a plate and a jar of the finished product. Recipe to be attached. Judged on content and presentation. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st-$15.00, 2nd-$10.00, 3rd-$5.00
Country Fair Baking Contest
On behalf of our sponsoring products, Bernardin, Crisco and Robin Hood Flour Family, it is our pleasure to include these special categories.
- All entrants must use the sponsor's product.
- As a first place winner, you will be asked to sign a release form giving permission to the sponsors for use of your name, recipe (where asked for), and/or photograph in any other advertising or publicity without payment.
- The fair will forward a list of all names and addresses of 1st and 2nd place winners to Country Fair Baking Contest.
- Judging will be based on appearance, taste, texture and recipe creativity.
- No entrant (or members of their immediate family) can be employees of contest sponsors, advertisers or contest judges.
- Robin Hood Flour "Family Favourite Recipe Baking Contest" -Oatmeal Raisin cookies, 3. Attach recipe.1st: $25.00 Product Certificate, 2nd: $10.00 Product Certificate
- Crisco "Family Favourite Recipe Baking Contest", - Best Homemade Tarts, 3, using Crisco shortening or oil. Attach recipe.1st: $25.00 Product Certificate, 2nd: $10.00 Product Certificate
- Bernardin "Jam or Jelly" - Best jam, jelly made with Bernardin pectin, submitted in a Bernardin mason jar and snap lid. Attach proof of purchase i.e. UPC symbol or product box. - 1st: $20.00 Gift Certificate