Baking and Canning
Committee: Laurie Cadwell (Chair) 519-761-7268
NOTE ENTRY DATE and TIMES
All entries must be made online at www.drumbofair.com by Saturday, September 17, 2022. White entry tags must be attached before bringing items to the fairgrounds. Entries will be received on Wednesday, September 21, between 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm and remain in place until 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- No mixes or commercial fillings allowed.
- All bread and loaves to be in plastic bags. Standard size pan approximately 23x13x7.5 cm or 9’x5”x3”. Do not trim or alter breads or loaves in any manner.
- Cupcake papers to be left in place. All muffin papers to be removed.
- Place smaller items, i.e. cookies, muffins, tarts, etc. on appropriately sized paper or plastic plate inside a ziplock bag.
- Cakes to be removed from pan; placed on sturdy base and in a plastic bag or covered with plastic wrap.
Yeast Breads, Buns and Rolls
- Brown bread, 1 loaf, not from a bread machine
- Any bread loaf,from a bread machine
- Cinnamon rolls, iced, 5
- Cheese bread
Loaves and Muffins
Remove papers from muffins.
- Banana loaf, no artificial flavouring, no nuts
- Zucchini loaf, no nuts
- Chocolate chip muffins, 3
- Carrot muffins, 3
- Any other muffin not listed, named, 3
Biscuits and Scones
- Tea biscuits, 3
- Scones, plain,3
Made from scratch, no commercial fillings or pastry
- Apple Pie, double crust
- Cherry Pie, lattice top
- Strawberry/Rhubarb, double crust
Cakes and Cupcakes
- Carrot cake, iced, in approximately 8"-9" pan
- Rhubarb coffee cake, in approximately 8"-9" pan
- Chocolate cupcakes, iced, 3 (papers on)
Cookies, Squares and Tarts
- Drop cookies, no bake, 3
- Peanut butter cookies, 3
- Sugar cookies, no icing, 3
- Brownies, iced, no nuts, 3
- No bake squares, any variety, 3
- Butter tarts plain. NO nuts or fruit. Five full size tarts (no minis or bite size). Attach recipe. Winner to compete at OAAS District 7 level in November 2022. Sponsored by Robert Jones. 1st-$8.00; 2nd-$4.00; 3rd-$3.00
Candy and Snacks
- Almond bark, 3 pieces
- Caramel popcorn, 2 cups
- Fudge, any variety, 1 inch pieces, 3
- Nuts and bolts, mix, 1 cup
- Protein bars, 3. Attach recipe
- Fasten entry tag securely on each jar with an elastic or string.
- No decorative embellishments on lids. No food colouring or wax.
- May be canned anytime after October 1, 2021.
- All jars must have new snap rings & lids unless otherwise noted.
- Jars to be filled according to standards recommended by recipe.
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with new snap rings and lids unless otherwise noted
- Applesauce, no added spices, frozen, unsealed, clear container i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Any other fruit not listed, named
Jams and Jellies
125 to 250 ml mason type preserving jars with new snap rings and lids unless otherwise noted.
- Raspberry jam, cooked
- Strawberry jam, cooked
- 2 fruit jam, Ontario fruits, cooked, list fruits
- Raspberry jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Strawberry jam, freezer, unsealed, clear container, i.e. Bernardin plastic freezer container
- Pepper jelly
- Grape jelly
Pickles and Relishes and Sauces
250 or 500 ml mason type preserving jars with new snap rings and lids. No added food colouring.
- Beets, pickled
- Bread and butter pickles
- Dill pickles
- 9 day pickles
- Any other pickles not listed, named
- Cucumber relish
- Zucchini relish
- Salsa, mild to medium, no hot
- Spaghetti sauce (no meat)
- BBQ sauce
- Tomatoes, stewed
BERNARDIN BEST OF SHOW: (sections 29-53) Must be canned in Bernardin Mason Jar and Snap Lid - $30.00 Gift Certificate
The Edna Pipe Award for the exhibitor winning most points in Baking and Canning, classes 1-53 - $25.00.
3. Baking and Canning Specials
(Organizations not eligible to enter specials)
- Fall Harvest of Preserved Products. Your choice of 6 sealed jars displayed in a basket decorated in a Harvest Theme. Judged on content and presentation. Jar sizes 250 or 500 ml only. Sponsored by Jackie Rodger.1st-$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Cookie Mix in a Jar. Your choice, recipe attached. Judged on content, presentation and creativity of recipe. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell.1st -$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Autumn Bounty, a Basket of Baked Items. Your choice of at least 6 home baked items in a basket decorated with the Harvest theme. To be judged on content and presentation. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st -$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Chocolate Cake - Baked from scratch, using no eggs. No icing. Any size pan may be used. Attach recipe. Judged on taste.Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st -$15.00; 2nd-$10.00; 3rd-$5.00
- Country Roots - Provide fresh raw produce for a salsa recipe. Display produce on a plate and a jar of the finished product. Recipe to be attached. Judged on content and presentation. Sponsored by Laurie Cadwell. 1st-$15.00, 2nd-$10.00, 3rd-$5.00
4. Country Fair Contest
On behalf of our sponsoring product, Bernardin, it is our pleasure to include this special category.
- All entrants must use the sponsor's product.
- Judging will be based on appearance, taste, texture and recipe creativity.
- No entrant (or members of their immediate family) can be employees of contest sponsors, advertisers or contest judges.
- Bernardin "Jam or Jelly" - Best jam, jelly made with Bernardin pectin, submitted in a Bernardin mason jar and snap lid. Attach proof of purchase i.e. UPC symbol or product box. - 1st: $20.00 Gift Certificate
For recipes and helpful hints on home canning visit: www.bernardin.ca